Thursday, January 31, 2013

Perspective, Focus, Joy.


I think it’s amazing how much perspective can play a role in our thought process. If I am caught up in a worldly perspective, then I will have world thoughts. If I am caught up in a spirit-led perspective, then I will have spirit led thoughts, which is exactly what Romans 8:5-11 talks about, “For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.” (verse 5, NRSV)


I looked at this concept tonight within my own life in regard to my talents.
Let’s look at them:

-Am I athletic? Definitely not. I enjoy running for fun/stress relief, but actual athletic talent of playing a sport, I got nothing. No coordination.

-Am I artistic? Definitely not. I can draw stick figures and little cartoons that I made up like monster or Freddy the Super Frog, but in reality, even they are a) really simple b) not very good.

-Am I academic? Not really. Yes, I am pretty smart, but I am definitely not smart enough for any academic team or anything. And I’m not even smart in every subject. I know some random facts in history, but not that much. I definitely can’t pull the theme of a story out of a book. I can do a little math, but probably not much over Trig/Pre-calc because I forgot most of the calculus stuff I learned. I can do some science stuff, but even then, I can’t do physics.

-Am I musical? Definitely not. I was in band for a bit, but truthfully, I wasn’t really even that good at that. I can’t sing to save my life. I can’t play piano or guitar. No musical talent.

-Am I model material? Most definitely not. I’m not that good at fashion and accessorizing. I’m not super skinny. I’m really not super girly. So, that’s out.

-Am I a writer? Not really… I guess this would kind of fall under the artistic talent, but I can write a decent essay for class (all credit there goes to my 7th grade English teacher, Mrs. Price, for teaching me how to write a good essay.). But true creative writing, I’m really not that great at it.

- Am I pop-reference, super modern person? Yeah, not really… I haven’t seen many movies; I only really listen to my kinds of styles of music; and I’m super behind on slang terms.

So, based on worldly standards, do I have much to offer? No, I really don’t. But. Catch the “but” here.  BUT… I have a passion for sharing Jesus with people. I have a passion to care for people and love them like Christ loves them. I have a passion for volunteering the time that I have to do whatever needs to be done. I am kind and compassionate. I can do administrative work if needed. I can feed a special needs child if that’s what you need me to do. I have a passion for building relationships with people. That is what I am good at. I don’t have much else to offer, but I can offer that. And God has taken that and used it. I mean look, I have a job where I drive around and tell students about Jesus, and I build relationships with them. What more could I ask for? That’s why I love my job so much!!!!
If I view myself through the point of view of everything that I am not, then I will never be able to embrace all that I am. I have decided to allow God to use me in any way that He sees fit! I have decided to chase after Him with all that I have, and allow Him to guide me into whatever He wants me to do. In the past, it’s been working with special needs kids at Respite and helping in the youth group. Now, it’s working for SWAT, and just building the relationships I have with people in the here and now.

Perspective is everything. I can focus on what I’m not and miss the big picture, or I can focus on what I am, and use that for the glory of God. I’m gonna choose the second one. How about you? What are you going to choose? To focus on failures and past results, or focus on the present joys and passions and ways that God can use those for His glory? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment as you wish :)