Sunday, December 18, 2011

*Alarm Clock Buzzes*-What if we didn't hit the snooze button?

So, on Monday night after I posted my little post (I don’t know what else to call it), I posed a quote, and it’s a quote that has been buzzing around my head all week, and won’t leave me alone…. which means I’m going to share some more :D- expound upon the quote…
“We must learn to reawaken and keep ourselves awake, not by mechanical aids, but by an infinite expectation of the dawn, which does not forsake us in our soundest sleep.” -Thoreau.
If you know me well, you know that I am very much a morning person. I don’t like sleeping in (even if I could). When I say that I slept in, that means that I made it to 8:30 and maybe even 9am but no later. I guess I just don’t quite understand wasting day away by sleeping (now, I will occasionally take a nap- well, if you ask my mom it’s more like an everyday occurrence to find me sleeping on the couch in the living room with some tv show on that I recorded purely to take a nap on- some people just have good sleeping voices… but that’s not the point even though naps are great). But, morning is such a special time of day; it’s the time when everything wakes up. The birds wake up and begin singing, the flower reopen, the sun rises. Everything comes to life. What if we actually woke up, and I don’t mean physically awake. I mean what if we spiritually woke up, and say “Hey, I’m actually going to get something accomplished today. Today, I’m going to live for God and bring a bit of heaven down here on earth.” Think about that thought. Maybe what Thoreau was saying, as he watched the dawn in his little cabin in the woods, was that we need to wake up- each morning should be a time of revival for us, each and every morning. Each morning we should wake up a new, wake up fresh and ready to head out the door with a smile on our face. We shouldn’t need a “mechanical aid”, an alarm clock, to wake us up; we should awaken because we have decided to wake up and stay awake. Dawn will still come all around you if you’re asleep, but then you miss the incredible sunrise, the sweet singing of the birds; you miss the revival. We should live with an infinite expectation for a revival every single day. So, are you going to be a morning person? I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment as you wish :)