Sunday, December 18, 2011

The End. No...scratch that... The Beginning.

The beginning.
That looks kinda weird to you doesn’t it. It looks like a title. You might even be thinking, “Well obviously Morgan that is the beginning. What else would it be?” You know I could like write a post backwards- start at the end and go to the beginning, but that would take a lot of work and I’m not up for a lot of work. The beginning. 
I was sitting in between classes with my friend Kimberlee who comes and hangs out with me, and we were working on our English study guides for our test in a couple of weeks. We were working on the essay question that had to do with Thoreau’s Walden (you can probably expect another quote from that work soon- I’ve fallen in love with different parts of it.) and at the end of the work, there are the words “The End.” Kimberlee looked at me and said, “Why do people feel like they have to put The End? They never put The Beginning.” 
And it’s so true. The end is obviously the end. Why do we have to put The End? Honestly, I don’t know that I much like endings- I like beginnings, I like things that continue. If it ends, then it is no more. So, when I finish a really good book or a good movie and I reach the end, I’m kind of sad. It’s over. It’s the end. It is no more. I won’t get to find out what happens next in the lives of the characters. But beginnings are great. At the beginning, there is so much potential, so much excitement of what’s going to happen. I like beginnings, and I find each day to be a new beginning. Its new day to begin, something with so much potential and sometimes a bit of excitement. Beginnings are fun. So, as a challenge for the day (maybe even the rest of the week) is to find some beginnings and look at it positively with potential and excitement. Each day is a new beginning. Here’s  short story just to start you off… 
The Beginning. 
Well, there once was a little girl who was given a special book one day. She was told that the book was exciting, so she couldn’t wait to open it up. She sat down on her bed, and carefully turned the front cover so that she could get to the first page. She was shocked to see two words on the first page. “The Beginning.” She quickly flipped over the get the story going, but all she found was a blank page, and then another blank page, and then another, and another, and the whole book besides the first page was full of blank pages. She was kind of let down, there was nothing exciting in this book. After all, what exactly is “The Beginning” supposed to mean? She took the book and went to find her grandfather who gave her the book. “Grandpa, this book is not very exciting. There is no story; its blank.” “Did you look closely? There’s a story in there; you must have just missed it.” “No, I looked there is no story; you must have given me the wrong book. “It’s the right book, look for the story and you’ll find it.” 
Now, you, the reader, can place your own meaning to the story. Sure, it has a meaning to me in my head (and no, it’s not a true story- I just made it up), but maybe it has a different meaning to you. You decide; the meaning of the story is in your hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment as you wish :)