Sunday, December 18, 2011

Bon Jovi and God- might there be a connection?

Okay, so for most of you reading this, chances are there are plenty of things you don’t know about me, which is fine (I like being the mysterious person that you think you know but maybe you don’t- I’m kidding or am I :P *place the spooky, mysterious voice in for full effect*). My guess is that many people don’t know that I really like 70’s and 80’s music a WHOLE lot more than I do than stuff that comes out now… After all, I run to Bon Jovi and Journey. I’m a crime show person (if my plans don’t work out, we will just have to go be a special agent, homicide detective, something with lots of danger and adrenaline… For a specific person reading this, I’ll just go be the female version of Oden (without the Sparta)!!! haha), I like sour over sweet and honestly I don’t much care for ice cream…. but none of that really matters except for the music part for this post… So, also, there is only 1 video game that I play- Guitar Hero… I’m not much of video game person, but I do quite enjoy Guitar Hero/Band Hero… Well, the other day, I decided I was going to play a game because I was kinda bored and was procrastinating, so I went to actually play Beatles Rock Band but couldn’t find it… but in the search I discovered that we had Guitar Hero 5 (didn’t know that we did… until right then) so I looked a the cover and the list of featured artists and decided that it would work for my gaming purposes that day. I put it in and played a couple of songs and then discovered that it had You Give Love A Bad Name by none other than Bon Jovi! (I’m actually listening to Runaway right now not that it actually matters :) ) And the beginning is kinda slow on the guitar part (if I remember correctly) and I was thinking about the title as I waited for it to pick up (when I would have to focus on hitting buttons and belting the song at the top of my lungs)… and as I sat there it just hit me… You give love a bad name… What hit me was the theme, thesis, moral, whatever you wanna call it, of this wonderful music filled blog post (We’ve moved on to Secret Agent Man by Johnny Rivers now for those of you following along haha)…. But I wonder how many times we’ve given love a bad name…And I’m not saying love as in general love…I wonder how many times we’ve given LOVE (God) a bad name… Now, please note that this post is not directed specifically toward any one person… I remember talking to a very dear friend of mine about God and they said that they didn’t believe because people didn’t show them God they heard about… they saw people that called themselves Christians but acted like the rest of the secular world; other people slammed them over the head with the Bible… they got both extremes in a way… I wonder if at one time or another we’ve given LOVE a bad name? I’ve actually given this a lot of thought lately… I looked around lately everywhere I was at… and I saw lots of different things… I saw people that said they were doing what they did to show Love but in actuality it was all probably more for attention and pride, I saw people that showed limited love- they love some people but if you aren’t in the group then you’re just out of luck, I saw people that said they were Christians but sure don’t act like it, but then I also saw Real love. I saw Love in the way an old man talked about his wife who had died 5 years prior, I saw Love in the coming together to be the hands and feet of Jesus, I saw Love in the care and compassion of certain people, I saw Love in just God himself…. And all of this made me think about how I show love… what love am I showing? Am I showing Real Love? And I hope that I’m showing God’s true love, but I also am me, so I can’t exactly see outside of myself… but it still got me thinking… how am I showing love and am I doing it for the right reasons? So, as a closing thought, what love are you showing- are you showing the Real, selfless love of Jesus Christ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment as you wish :)